View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0000223XdebugUncategorizedpublic2006-12-12 13:58
Reportermathieuk Assigned Toderick  
Status resolvedResolutionno change required 
Summary0000223: Line breakpoints not being hit
DescriptionWhen using XDebug 2.0.0RC1 on Windows XDebug is not hitting the breakpoints that I've set through DBGP communication.

Expected behaviour:
A response to the Run message with status="break".

Actual behavior (see additional info):
A response to the Run message with status="stopped"
Additional InformationThe PHP script used (which does nothing in particular):


$y = 1995;

for ($i = 0; $i < 10; $i++)
    $y = $i + 2;


My program's debug output, including the DBGP messages sent & received:

Waiting for connection

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<init fileuri="file:///C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5Cxampp%5Chtdocs%5Cxdebug%5Ctest1.php" language="PHP" protocol_version="1.0" appid="1960" idekey="1"><engine version="2.0.0RC2-dev"><![CDATA[Xdebug]]></engine><author><![CDATA[Derick Rethans]]></author><url><![CDATA[]]></url><copyright><![CDATA[Copyright (c) 2002-2006 by Derick Rethans]]></copyright></init>
Connection initialized. Initial debuggee: C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\xdebug\test1.php

 => SENT => breakpoint_set -i xdc0 -t line -f file://C%3a%5cProgram+Files%5cxampp%5chtdocs%5cxdebug%5ctest1.php -n 5

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<response command="breakpoint_set" transaction_id="xdc0" id="19600003"></response>

 => SENT => run -i xdc1

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<response command="run" transaction_id="xdc1" status="stopped" reason="ok"></response>
TagsNo tags attached.
Operating SystemWindows XP sp2
PHP Version5.2.0



2006-11-26 19:12

administrator   ~0000496

How did you load Xdebug in php.ini? And can you provide a link to the output of phpinfo()?


2006-11-26 19:22

reporter   ~0000497

Last edited: 2006-11-26 19:27

zend_extension_ts="C:/Program Files/xampp/php_xdebug.dll"

This is actually 2.0.0RC2 ( but the behaviour was the same on RC1.

phpinfo is at

edited on: 2006-11-26 19:27


2006-11-26 19:27

reporter   ~0000498

I edited my note changing zend_extension to zend_extension_ts which is what is actually used. Sorry for any confusion.


2006-11-29 07:35

reporter   ~0000500

Fiddled around some more. Turns out the way I was encoding the filename was the real problem:

When I used file:///C:\Program%20Files\xampp\htdocs\xdebug1.php instead of file://C%3a%5cProgram+Files%5cxampp%5chtdocs%5cxdebug%5ctest1.php all was well.

The problem lies in the space between 'Program' and 'Files'. It gets encoded either as + or %20. XDebug doesn't like the + and I'm not sure wether XDebug should accept them (I don't know the RFC's IETF RFC 1738 and 2396 too well :) ) but in any event it might be nice if Xdebug atleast gave a heads up that something's wrong.


2006-12-12 13:58

administrator   ~0000516

I just checked the RFC and the file:// scheme doesn't say that + is reserved, that's only in URLs. So it's not a bug. As the + is a valid character for filenames, I don't think I can tell Xdebug to warn you about it as it might be a false-positive. Thanks for checking this out though.

Issue History

Date Modified Username Field Change
2006-11-26 19:00 mathieuk New Issue
2006-11-26 19:12 derick Note Added: 0000496
2006-11-26 19:12 derick Status new => feedback
2006-11-26 19:22 mathieuk Note Added: 0000497
2006-11-26 19:27 mathieuk Note Edited: 0000497
2006-11-26 19:27 mathieuk Note Added: 0000498
2006-11-29 07:35 mathieuk Note Added: 0000500
2006-12-12 13:58 derick Status feedback => resolved
2006-12-12 13:58 derick Resolution open => no change required
2006-12-12 13:58 derick Assigned To => derick
2006-12-12 13:58 derick Note Added: 0000516
2016-07-31 12:36 derick Category Usage problems => Usage problems (Crashes)
2016-07-31 12:38 derick Category Usage problems (Crashes) => Usage problems (Wrong Results)
2020-03-12 16:35 derick Category Usage problems (Wrong Results) => Variable Display
2020-03-12 16:38 derick Category Variable Display => Uncategorized