View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0001180||Xdebug||Code Coverage||public||2015-08-24 21:20||2017-01-05 13:35|
|Fixed in Version||2.5.1|
|Summary||0001180: Running coverage on tests that use ZF1's controller test library segfault|
|Description||Have a suite that uses Zend Framework 1's Controller Testing framework. Tests run fine without coverage enabled (PHPUnit 4.1 and 4.8), but as soon as coverage is enabled, if any tests in the run hit the ZF1 controller test framework, a segfault is encountered.|
Here's error in log:
php: segfault at 31c7000 ip 00007f3b3b48bc01 sp 00007ffdb66c6a80 error 4 in xdebug.so[7f3b3b47a000+36000]
I was able to test with Xdebug 2.3.3 and 2.3.3 (from Remi Repo). Both exhibited this behavior.
Xdebug 2.2.4 (directly from PECL) does not (the only reason for choosing this version was because it was the last known working version on my system before I updated to 2.3.3).
|Steps To Reproduce||For me, and others on my team, it was as simple as running code coverage on any code that uses the ZF1 Controller Tests.|
I'll try to put together a simple test case soon and update this ticket.
|Additional Information||PHP 5.5.28 (cli) (built: Aug 6 2015 08:53:05)|
Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies
with Xdebug v2.2.4, Copyright (c) 2002-2014, by Derick Rethans
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Operating System||CentOS Linux 6|
"I was able to test with Xdebug 2.3.3 and 2.3.3 (from Remi Repo)."
That should be "2.3.3 and 2.3.2".
Just tried 2.3.2 from PECL, which also segfaults:
PHPUnit 4.8.6 by Sebastian Bergmann and contributors.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Though, I notice that 2.3.3 supposedly fixed a crash on coverage reports. Is 2.3.3 not stable in PECL yet?
||Can you provide step-by-step instructions as to how to reproduce this — including installing anything I might not have? Expect me to have an empty system with only PHP and Xdebug setup - and know nothing about ZF.|
Derick, I took some time to put a test case together that mimics the actual case that we were seeing the best I could.
While setting up this test case, I found that it may not just be Xdebug + ZF1 Controller tests, but actually something to do with stopping and starting coverage (this is something that we do in some of our suites to speed up execution times during fixture loading and such). The sample test case I setup includes these stops and starts, and if you were to remove them, the tests pass fine. I am unsure why the stops/starts don't cause issues in our tests that don't hit the ZF1 Controller testing code, perhaps they're called differently in those tests.
Here's the repo: https://github.com/jaydiablo/xdebug-test-case
I mention in the readme how to reproduce the segfault, let me know if you require anything else to take a look at this.
Oh, also, I should mention that when I was testing where the segfault happened I would occasionally get this output:
*** glibc detected *** php: double free or corruption (out): 0x00000000167244b0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
I'll add a full copy of this trace to the repo in case it sheds some light on anything.
||Cheers, I can reproduce the issue with your test case.|
I'm a colleague of the OP, and we were revisiting this as we move towards upgrading our systems to PHP7. I was able to simplify the test suite provided, which you can see here:
The failure scenario seems very specific to our original implementation - calling a static method, which in turn calls another static method, which resumes code coverage and then sets a static property. I added some slight variations that don't fail:
* A passing test in TheTest.php, which calls the exact same static methods as the failing test, the only difference being that it bypasses the intermediary static method.
* A separate TestCase (NoStaticPropertyOnResumeTest.php) that passes, the only difference being that it the "resumeCodeCoverage" method does not change the value of the static property after resuming code coverage.
Also of note is that the segfault only happens when resuming coverage with the XDEBUG_CC_UNUSED flag.
||I still can reproduce it, but finding the problem is a whole lot harder as there is so much code involved.|
||Fixed for Xdebug 2.5.1.|
|2015-08-24 21:20||jaydiablo||New Issue|
|2015-08-24 21:24||jaydiablo||Note Added: 0003166|
|2015-08-24 21:32||jaydiablo||Note Added: 0003167|
|2015-11-09 01:58||derick||PHP Version||5.5.20-5.5.25 => 5.1.0|
|2015-11-09 01:58||derick||Note Added: 0003213|
|2015-11-09 01:58||derick||Assigned To||=> derick|
|2015-11-09 01:58||derick||Status||new => feedback|
|2015-11-12 19:46||jaydiablo||Note Added: 0003227|
|2015-11-12 19:46||jaydiablo||Status||feedback => assigned|
|2015-11-12 20:02||derick||Note Added: 0003228|
|2015-11-20 17:43||derick||Target Version||=> 2.4.1|
|2016-07-31 12:35||derick||Category||Debug client (console) => debugclient (debugging tool)|
|2016-07-31 12:35||derick||Category||debugclient (debugging tool) => (No Category)|
|2016-08-01 20:29||derick||Target Version||2.4.1 => 2.4.2|
|2016-08-05 22:07||aripringle||Note Added: 0003669|
|2016-08-10 15:15||derick||Note Added: 0003672|
|2016-11-12 16:54||derick||Target Version||2.4.2 => 2.5.0RC2|
|2016-11-12 16:55||derick||Target Version||2.5.0RC2 => 2.5.0dev|
|2016-12-04 18:34||derick||Target Version||2.5.0dev =>|
|2016-12-12 00:10||derick||Category||(No Category) => Code Coverage|
|2016-12-12 11:17||derick||Status||assigned => acknowledged|
|2017-01-05 13:35||derick||Note Added: 0004158|
|2017-01-05 13:35||derick||Status||acknowledged => closed|
|2017-01-05 13:35||derick||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2017-01-05 13:35||derick||Fixed in Version||=> 2.5.1|